Thursday, January 28, 2010

January 22, 2010, Exodus 3-5, Luke 22

Title: Has anyone seen God - face to face?

(S) Ex 3:6 "At this Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God."

(O) Exodus 33  says both that Moses saw God face to face as a friend and that no man has seen God at any time and lived. Jacob wrestles with either an angel or with God depending on how you read it but I think with God - as it says "I saw God face to face and yet my life was spared"  the only way I think that Jacob may not have really seen His face is that it was before the sun came up and it was dark.   So is there a contradiction or what -  will need this one explained. 

(A) I really seem to go through my bible looking for things that seem odd to me and so this is not a blog for anyone else but me I think.  This issue of some places saying that no man has seen God face to face and other places that Jacob and Moses have seen God face to face seems like a contradiction.  You could say that it is a spiritual reference and not physically seeing God face to face but that does not really make sense as we are talking about a physical encounter with Moses and the burning bush, and the giving of the tablets and Jacob wrestling with God.  Well I am  not going to stop going through my Bible looking for things that I find odd as this keeps me totally fascinated with this book and there are always new questions. One day, when I get to heaven, God will answer all these questions......I am sure they speak Hebrew there.  ha ha.

(P) God help me find out answers to my many, many questions.... one answer here and there would suffice.

Title: God watches over us even when we are going through troubles but this does not mean that he stops the troubles.

(S) Ex 3:16b "I have watched over you and have seen what has been done to you in Egypt."

(O) God can see our suffering however His plan may not be for today and we have to just wait and not assume that he just does not care.  He knows that we are in Egypt (metaphorically speaking) and he knows that we must leave but the leader and the route are according to His timing.

(A) We have an Egypt - a very long and overwhelming Egypt - I wonder when Moses leads us out....... and where is this Moses?,

(P) Egypt - how much longer?

Title: When on a God directed mission - it is not wrong to ask for silver, gold and clothing - and plunder those you leave behind.

(S) Ex. 3:22 "Every woman is to ask her neighbor and any woman living in her house for articles of silver and gold and for clothing, which you will put on your sons and daughters.  And so you will plunder the Egyptians."

(O) As people leave for the mission field  or go on other initiatives in obedience to God we tend to raise small amounts of money to give them.......  here they took the silver the gold, clothes and plundered the people they left behind.  What a concept.  What chutzpah!  Must have been Jews.

(A) It is quite okay to ask for funds if you are going on a God directed endeavor - do not be embarrassed ask..... you might be surprised.

(P) Even though Paul was a tent maker and a missionary - it seems here that it is okay to ask for support when going out at God's command. I pray for those who are afraid to ask for support as they go forward to do battle for God - give courage in asking for financial help as well.

 Title:  I am sure you don't want me to do this God.

(S) Ex 4:1"Moses answered, "What if they do not believe me of listen to me and say,  'The Lord did not appear to you?'

(O) That is how I think - how could I do this work - impossible - the last thing on my husband's heart and so I cannot.  Do not underestimate God - my Bonny said that she was amazed at who actually was doing mission work - the elderly, some with no language skills at all came and pushed the carts with literature, some who scraped together every nickel they had in order to go and share the gospel with these people who are so different than us.

(A) Nothing is impossible if you just put one foot out there and start.

(P) What is the Nike ad - just do it.

Title:  How to gain instant eloquence.

(S) Ex 4:10-11 "Moses said to the Lord, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent........ The Lord said to him, "Who gave man his mouth?".....Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."

(O) Obedience followed by action is the formula that God gives for eloquence ...... now in Moses case this was thwarted by Moses inability to trust and believe God and so God provided Aaron to speak for him.

(A) Lips moving - if we have prayed and studied than perhaps the next step is to move our lips.

(P) Help me to move my lips for you oh God.

Title:  Why would God want to kill Moses - after He has told him that Moses will be chosen to speak for God?

(s) Ex. 4:24 "At a lodging place on the way the Lord met Moses and was about to kill him."

(O) God is angry with Moses because Moses is not sure he is the one who should speak to the pharaoh for his people but where does this verse come from that the Lord was "about to kill him."?  The next bit is about the circumcision Moses son - maybe God could not let Moses go to Egypt as the voice of God without obeying the command of circumcision for his son. I am not even sure if Moses was circumcised however it seems that by Ziporah circumcising her son - Moses is forgiven for not obeying that command and his life is spared.

(A) Think this is just an example of the assertion that 'obedience is better than sacrifice' .......  even though Moses was going to Egypt as God asked he had not circumcised his son and so was not completely obedient - disobedience meant death - even though it was Moses.

(P) Lord show me the disobedient places in my life so I can correct them.  I know what they are.

Title: Bricks without straw - ????

S: Ex. 5:6 "You are no longer to supply the people with straw for making bricks; let them go and gather their own straw. But require them to make the same number of bricks as before; don't reduce the quota.

O: I have read this many times and always read it that they were leaving the straw out of the bricks - no they just had to gather their own.... something added to the job for no additional reward.

A: I have to read more closely - often I assume because I read through parts that I know well too quickly - how foolish of me.

Title:  Obedience to God does not guarantee a trouble free expedition.mS: Ex 5:22 "Moses returned to the Lord and said, "O Lord, why have you brought trouble upon this people?  Is this why you sent me?

O:  Here is Moses carrying out God's orders and yet everything is going wrong.  It seems that obedience has made the situation worse and yet we have read the end of the book and know that they will come through this and  get out of Egypt - but the process of redemption will not be easy - and so it is not easy for man and salvation does not mean an instant bed of roses for the person that is saved out of Egypt.  It only means that God is with you and you can trust that he is there to help you through each trial.

A:  Hang in there - the trial is long but the reward is great.

P: Always know that God is faithful.

Luke 22  Story of the Passover and Judas betraying Jesus , The Last supper, Jesus prays on the mount of olives, Jesus arrested, Peter disowns Jesus, Jesus before Pilate and a Herod.

S: Luke 1:1 "Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread was approaching , and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were looking for some way  to get rid of Jesus,"

O: How interesting that the betrayal of Jesus and his death is at the time of the Passover - the Passover is to commemorate the fleeing from Egypt and the salvation of the Jews and the death of Jesus is about the salvation of not only the Jews but the world.  Always a perfect picture.

A: Timing to God is everything -  he does provide - but often when we almost give up - He is Jehovah jirah - God the Provider however when this term was used - jirah - it was when Abraham went up to make a sacrifice as God commanded and he had nothing with him and yet God wanted a blood sacrifice so he was just about to sacrifice his beloved son Isaac when out of the thicket God provided a ram - and there it was the sacrifice at the very last minute - that was when God the provider - Jehovah Jirah was used. And so just when things become impossible --- at that last minute - when we have given up on every other solution but God - then God solves the problem.

P: Lord give me the patience to wait for your answers.

Title:  Does the passage in Luke say anything about the ritual of keeping the ceremony of the Holy Communion as we keep it today?

S: Luke 22:19-20 "And he took the bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you."

O: Was it just to break this bread and drink this wine at this particular special upper room Passover feast and to think about Christ their mentor and leader who was about to be sacrificed.  They do not get the significance of the blood that will spare them from death much like the passover but Jesus is giving them symbolic language trying to explain to them what is about to take place.  Are we like Jews to keep a ceremony - it does not say that - what we are doing is carrying on old ceremonies - first from the Passover and then from the Catholic church who liked ritual and ceremonies - I do not see that this verse says that we are to do this forever but rather that at this meal - the last supper - Jesus wanted them to think about Him as they broke the bread and drank the cup.

A: Taking communion seems like a nice way to remember Jesus death - however as far as I read this we  are not requested to do this on a regular basis.

P: There are many churches that do not take Communion (Salvation Army)and others that feel that if you do not do this ritual every single week you are neglecting your soul (Catholics and the Brethern) and yet this verse is really quite vague.  Lord thanks for the reprieve here I was not sure but now I will not feel any guilt about not taking Communion after this as the church I go to does not observe this custom.

Title:  Who will judge the twelve tribes of Israel in the new kingdom?

S: Luke 22:29  (This is being said at the last supper with the 12 disciples including Judas there) "I confer on you a kingdom, just as my father conferred one on me, so that ou may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel"

O: So the 12 disciples, including Judas will judge the twelve tribes of Israel --- there is no aside here saying the 12 tribes of Israel will be judged by 12 disciples - except for Judas - he will be replaced by someone else - no this comment is left out -- this verse seems wrong to me..... 

A : Often I feel like the Ethiopian by the side of road trying to figure out the scriptures - yet another verse that does not make sense to me.

P: I am writing a blog - dear God - so many unanswered questions - is there not a single learned person that could answer some of these questions.

Title:  Christians - people of peace or sword fighters?

S:Luke 22:36 He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

O: I guess the "blessed are the peace makers" is not for the disciples - they are to live by the sword in this passage but is this just for he disciples - or is it for us too.  Is this a contradiction - we are to live peaceable with all men and yet we are to take up with a sword?????

A: What am I to do with this verse - go out and buy a gun - defend my right to own a weapon - never thought that the Bible taught violence --- this verse seems to contradicting a lot of other scripture .  Could this be just for the disciples as they were all martyrs...... but should they not- have defended themselves and killed to preserve their own lives -- don't think so.

P: Another verse that I do not think seems right - bearing arms seems like an unusual request but the Crusaders fought the Moors - the Christians support the war in the middle east right now --- maybe we are suppose to buy swords -- dear Lord - would not mind an answer on this one??

Title:  Sorrow and sadness is exhausting.

S: Luke 22:45 "When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow."

O: When you see people who are always tired - perhaps they are exhausted from sorrow.......

A: I know several people who always complain of exhaustion -- perhaps it is exhaustion but perhaps it is sorrow and I should ask a few questions to see if they need help.

P: I thought of a few people like this and I need to pray for them and also find out what their sorrow is.

Title:  Jesus told the disciples to buy swords, so they do, then when they use them he reprimands them. 

S: Luke 22:49-51 "When Jesus followers saw what was going to happen, they said, "Lord, should we strike with our swords?" And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.  But Jesus answered,  "No more of this!" And he touched the man's ear and healed him."

O: Jesus in my observation above told the disciples to go and buy swords and they went out and bought two swords.... which Jesus said would be adequate.  But then when they go to use them Jesus rebukes them for using the swords that He had told them to go and get.  What is with this? Must have been a confusing message to the disciples as it really is confusing to me.

A: So we are either to have weapons and not use them ---- not sure......

P: Lord, here is another verse I would like clarification on.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment