Friday, January 1, 2010

January 1, 2010 Genesis 1 & 2, Luke 1

My name is Barb and I have difficulty reading my Bible every single day and so decided that it would be good to start a blog. It will help me with diligently reading my Bible on a daily basis and perhaps one or two people may check in and read with me. I have a plan that goes through the Bible in a year. I really have more questions than anything else and they are not always answered by the end of my reading - but that is what learning is about - striving for answers and perhaps year by year getting just a few more answers to questions. I use the S.O.A.P. method of reading - Scripture. Observation. Application and Prayer that comes out of the Application. I use a New International Version Bible. Just a verse that hits me from the daily reading and maybe one or two - just as the Spirit moves - here goes ---

Gen. 1:1
Title: Plural God - what is that about?
S - "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"
O - I have written in my notes here that the word God in the Hebrew in this verse is plural because it ends in an m and that is the same as ending in an s in English - so this is the great divide between those who are of the Christian faith and those of the Islamic belief system. I know that there is no word Trinity in the Bible however here the word God is plural - why does it start this way - this was not written casually - it was intended. I know I do not understand the aspects of this plural nature of God - is He not just more than I can understand - larger, greater - so everything I can think of to describe Him as and so the "s" is added to convey this - maybe.
A - This plural nature of God is something I do not understand and is a huge point of contention that prevent many from ever even investigating Christianity and so I must be aware and sensitive to others who find this aspect of Christianity a hurdle that cannot be overcome. How can I been sensitive to this obstacle that prevents others from believing in Christianity at all? How can I understand this very difficult aspect of God's nature?
P - God help me to grow in my understanding of who you are - I do not understand the concept Trinity - my faith is not that strong in stretching to understand your many sides and facets - but with your help I will learn more each day.

Now I just keep reading until another verse in Gen. 1 and 2 hit me -

Gen.1:24 Title: Does the Bible support Evolution of Species?
(S)"And God said,"Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatues that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so."
(O) It seems that species produce according to their kind. Are there gradual adaptations that evolve into whole new species. Perhaps adaptations but it doesn't seem to support complete change of species. I think it is a "no" on the complete change of one animal into another animal such as a monkey into a man - that is according to this verse.
(A) It has never bothered me that evolution believes that modifications happen in animals however have always had trouble with the missing link idea. It is a faith leap for either belief system - the Christian believes God was the initial energy to start the world and create man and the evolutionist believes that this difficult ongoing transition happens and this intelligent being of man comes out of it. Faith on other belief system I say.
(P) Help me to be sensitive to those who have trouble believing in Christianity because their evolution background seems like a barrier to any kind of Christian faith - how did God do it -- make this world and its creatures and humans - well with His greatness - I believe that but for others it is a really hinderance to belief. Lord help me be understanding of others and their great difficulty in believing in God due to these great faith leaps.

(S) Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our own image and our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground"
(O) Another example of God calling himself plural. God gave up control over the earth and handed it over to man. That means that a lot of mistakes happen as man is handling the earth and the destiny of other men. Often people say "Why did God allow this to happen to me or someone else or the world" -- it seems that God gave over control in this verse so it is not His fault that this or that happens - he gave control over to man - God is not to blame - we live in a fallen world with bad stuff happening and if the people in Africa are starving it is because we do not care enough to do something about it - we have the capacity to do good or evil -
(A) We have a fallen nature and much of the bad that happens is because we do not allign ourselves with a God that wants good for us - we just go about in our own sinful way.
(P) Help me to be aware of what my role is in helping others and this world.

Luke 1
Title: Filled by the Holy Spirit from Birth
(S) Luke 1: 15,16 " He is never to take wine or other fermented drinks, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth. Many of the People of Israel will he bring back to the Lord their God"
(O) This is the scripture about the birth of John the Baptist. It is interesting that John was to be filled with the Holy Spirit from his birth. Unlike Jesus he is not a son of God or devine but a regular person however it says that he would be filled with the Holy Spirit at birth - so this Holy Spirit filling a God chosen event and not something we conjure up. I know that a later verse says John lept in Elizabeth's womb when he came near Christ so the power of Christ's deity was so awesome that even an unborn baby is struck by God - so this baby - it must have a "God awareness" or a soul already even though unborn - think this is a very pro- life political view??????
(P) Lord help me to be this aware of God's great power and divinity - so awesome that a baby can recognize who God is - wow -

Title : Jesus from the Line of David or is He?
(S) Luke 1:27 "to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David."
(O) It was Joseph that was a descendent of David and yet he was not the father of Jesus. So is even though Joseph is not the father his marriage to Mary makes him legally the father and so that is what is meant.
(A) I really do not get so many aspects of the Bible including the assertion that Jesus is from the line of David and yet not related to Joseph - perhaps it is just an example that we are the adopted sons and daughters of God through Christ - I don't know.
(P) God help me understand this yet another question.

Title : We do not call Mary Blessed in the evangelical faith
(S) Luke 1:42 "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear!" Luke 1:45 "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished"
(O) The verse does not say we are to worship her but it does say she is blessed among women and a later verse says that all nations will call her "blessed" So what does this mean we are to do with this woman's example - perhaps just look at her example and her life and how she committed herself and her future to God with great faith.
(A) I think that Mary is an example of faith in the unkown - when women become pregnant there is joy but also fear about the future - Mary had faith to trust God for her upcoming family and her future. Think this a challenge to women as we are natural frettering females worrying about the needs that are coming our way in the future. God provides and Mary knew this.
(P) Lord help me to have this type of faith for my family and my children. Help me to know that God will faithful in all things.

Title - The method of how Chritianity comes about is explained by Zechariah filled by the holy Spirit as he prophesied.

(S) Luke 1:77 "... to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins"
(O) It was a message that was for the Jews, it was knowledge or new information to be revealed, it was knowledge about how to get out of this predicament of being lost and not being raised again .... i.e. salvation, it was forgiveness of sins -- something that says this must be God as who else could forgive sins.
(P) John was a spirit filled witness for Christ that did not care about the ameneties of life - he had a job to do and that was to let people know how to be saved and how to find Christ -- oh to be that focussed and diligent.

No comments:

Post a Comment